Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Barbours Go To Church

Over the past month, we have been visiting churches.  Some people use the term "church shopping" but we already belong to a church.  We are a part of Good News Church, and as we are gearing up we wanted to see who is doing what in the city of Aurora.  
  I am even more convinced now of the need for a life giving, empowering church in our city.  I am also aware of the tremendous amount of work, man power, and intimate connection with the Father needed to pull this off.  Thank God that we do not do this alone!
  I have noticed that there is little room made for the Spirit of God to move in the church as we plan every last detail, every single word that is spoken, and we try to jam pack fun and entertainment into every single minute of the service.  I'm a planner myself.  I know how these things work and should work.  I see the need for great lights, blackout at the right spot, video used for transition and dramatic effect, perfect guitar solo and a great mix on the sound board.  All of these play an important part in the "production" element, but how do we make sure every person has an encounter with the living God?  
  We went to a church that had everyone pray for each other during the worship set.  That was pretty cool, and he acknowledged the weirdness that people might feel if they'd never done it before.  We went to another church that had a ministry team available at the front for prayer.  I went down for prayer for healing, and got a very powerless prayer...almost a "God, if it's your will to heal this brother..."  I guess I expected more from a church that believes in the gifts of the Spirit.  We went to a large church that was about an hour away and it was IMPRESSIVE!  From the parking lot crew, to the kids ministry check in, classrooms, and volunteers, to the impeccable band and musicians, the light show, the kick drum beating within my chest, to the message of hope, to the coffee and cookies.  We could have walked in and not made a real connection with anyone though due to the size, and the Pastor did not give people a chance to receive Jesus on Easter weekend.  It was very produced down to the minute as I'm sure it must be with 6 services.  I was, however, engaged with God, moved by the message, and elated with the priority they put on kids, right down to the spot in the bulletin that has parents ask their kids what they learned, and gives you the answer and Scripture.  We went to another church that is trying to be a mega church with about 250 people.  The kids ministry check in was confusing.  Apparently, there are kids' classrooms in three different sections of the building.  Luckily, our kids were dropped off in the same wing. However, i almost didn't drop Jaxon off in the 2 yr old room because the young lady watching the kids was more concerned with her Starbucks iced coffee than greeting parents at the door.  Nonetheless, we left him in there.  We got some pretty awful coffee in the VIP lounge...but I wasn't sure if that was just for First Timers or for everyone.  We met the Pastor and he seemed genuine enough.  All of the production elements were in place, but a sound system with crackling speakers, a horrible mix on the sound board, and a lot of up and down movement was very distracting.  There didn't seem to be a flow in the worship set for us to really engage God before we were instructed to sit back down.  The Pastor reminded me of Jerry Seinfield with his jokes and inflections.  The message was good, funny, and inspiring with lots of one liners and tweetable sayings.  Although, I didn't walk out feeling like I could tackle my week, especially with announcements that included Olaf promoting a kids camp for summer.  My last thought leaving was, "i bet the kids would like a picture with the snowman!"  After hanging out in the lobby for a few minutes, not talking to anyone, I took the kids over to the "VIP" area to get a muffin, and was stopped by one of the Pastors who wouldn't let me get by to get something to eat for the kids.  He was more concerned with keeping the kids out of that room because "it was too crowded" (I saw like 3 people in the giant room) than meeting me and my family and helping my kids get something in their stomachs to tide them over.  After watching him try to figure out where to put my kids so my wife and i wouldn't "lose track of them" so we could go in there I told him to forget it and walked away frustrated and angry.  It took me walking away to keep from punching him in his snowman loving face, and grabbing three mini muffins to feed the dudes.
  
  Everything we do in the church will lead to people having an experience with God if we remember that it's all about the people.  The program, the production, the presentations are all nothing if it has no purpose for the equipping and empowering of the people.  Isn't this what the church as an institution should be doing?  
  If the guy in the parking lot makes me smile by the way he parks my car and commenting on my shirt and my handsome kids, I'll be ready to have an experience with God.  If the people in kids ministry greet my kids and help me know they will be safe, it's one less distraction.  If the music is great and the sound system is well mixed, I won't be thinking "oh, look, they are making a joyful noise!" If the message is inspiring, and full of God, then I may be ready to face my week.  Could all of this happen with only the best laid plans and production of men?  Probably.  Where is the desperation to see The Spirit of God do what only He can do?

  I desire to see demonstrations of the Spirit's power through miracles, the believer leaving the church inspired and empowered to do the work of the ministry, people enveloped in worship and engaged in community in order to become closer to God. I want see all people, especially kids, feel special regardless of what they have to offer the church or me as the Pastor.  I desire to help people fulfill their calling, and not just help me fulfill mine.  
  
  I believe now, more than ever, that Aurora needs a church like Good News.  I feel like it's an impossible thing to start a church, but didn't God kind of call us to do the impossible?  If was up to me, it would surely fail, but it's up to God IN me. No word from God will ever fail.
  
  

1 comment:

  1. Good word Greg, I been there and done that with "church Shopping" and I'm glad I found a church where they let the Spirit Lead. Thinking about it i dont think the church I grew up in ever allowed that and we were a very small church even with out great lights, sound system or any production or great kids ministry. I like that the parking guy was great, I think if people at church would just be welcoming people would come back. Thats what it took to get me back.- Joe Clay

    ReplyDelete